This is a great dish to make on a busy weeknight (which is every night at my house) because it can be so easily customized based on what you have in the fridge. I happened to have fat free ground turkey, but you could also use ground beef or sausage and I was feeling too lazy to chop up any onion or garlic which I would normally add in.
Quick Turkey Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- diced red & green peppers
- 1 15.5 oz can of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Penzeys Northwoods seasoning (coarse flake salt, paprika, black pepper, thyme, rosemary, garlic and chipotle)
- 1 tsp cinnamon sugar (or more, to taste)
- 1 tsp Parsley
- Sriracha, as much or as little as you want
In a medium sauce pot, add oil and brown turkey with Northwoods, cinnamon sugar, parsley and Sriracha, about 8 minutes. Add peppers and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and beans, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste. A rule of thumb I follow is if it’s too salty or spicy gradually add more sweet, if it’s too sweet gradually add more salt or heat.